What is a local concierge?
While traveling, have you ever asked a hotel’s concierge what local events are on, or asked a random local for navigation help, or used a translate app to understand something, or gone on TripAdvisor to find the best things a city has to offer?
Well, this is all those things, and more – with Tep’s local concierge, you can reach out to a real local and get personalized recommendations and assistance via your smartphone, whenever you want!
What can the local concierge do?
Every morning, your local concierge will greet you with “Today’s Hidden Gem” – a personalized suggestion of something fun to do or interesting to see.
Your concierge can also help you do the following:
- Learn about the culture and history of a city
- Find out about the best places worth visiting, the ones only locals know about
- Discover delicious local cuisine and the best places to eat it
- Navigate the city quickly and effortlessly, like a local
- Make calls, bookings & other arrangements on your behalf
- Avoid any and all language barriers (send them pictures of stuff and they’ll translate)
- Want to be surprised? Tell your concierge to plan your day!
- Have any other questions or need anything? Just ask your concierge!
Why is a local concierge better than Google, Yelp, TripAdvisor etc.?
Do you enjoy browsing through endless top 10 must-see's and must-do's? Do you want to stay on the beaten path paved my endless tourists before you? Are star ratings more important to you than authentic experiences?
If you answered “no” to any of the above questions, then this service is for you. Tap into the insights of real locals, and experience a reinvention of discovery. You are guaranteed to experience the city in a way few travelers ever do. Take a unique journey, free from tourist traps, language barriers and experience the convenience of having real local advice at your fingertips, whenever needed.
What does my concierge know about me?
The only information your concierge will start with is your first name, travel dates and how to contact you. From there, you decide how much information you want to divulge. Just remember, the more you tell your local concierge about your likes and preferences, the better they can personalize their recommendations to you.
How do I interact with my local concierge?
You will be able to chat with your local concierge anytime you want on your smartphone, via the Tep+ app or WhatsApp. Both are free to use, and require a working internet connection.
What hours is the local concierge available?
Your local concierge will be responsive from 9am to 8pm every day. You can still write your local concierge outside of those hours, but they might take longer to reply.
How do I get introduced to my local concierge?
Soon after you place your order, you will receive an email with a short survey to help us connect you with your local concierge. Filling out this survey is important so that we can connect you with real locals with expert knowledge about the places you're traveling to. Your concierge will then reach out to you on the day your trip starts!
What is Tep+?
Tep+ is a free app that allows you to call and message any number worldwide. You can read more about it here.
Tep+ requires a device that can receive SMS, and a working internet connection; either your phone’s data connection (e.g. 2G, 3G, LTE, 4G) or a WiFi connection (e.g. while connected to your Teppy).
What is WhatsApp?
WhatsApp is a free app that allows you to call and message other WhatsApp users. You can read more about it here.
WhatsApp requires a device that can receive SMS, and a working internet connection; either your phone’s data connection (e.g. 2G, 3G, LTE, 4G) or a WiFi connection (e.g. while connected to your Teppy).
Is there any way to communicate with the local concierge other than Tep+ or WhatsApp?
Not at this time, but we'd love to hear your suggestions!
Who is my local concierge?
Every single local concierge is – as the name implies – a genuine local, who actually lives in the city you’re visiting. These are not robots or someone with the same level of knowledge that a simple Google-search would yield.
To ensure your experience with your local concierge is both informative and enjoyable, all local concierges share the following set of personality traits:
- Curious by nature: Always keen to explore and learn more
- Generous in spirit: Willing to share and go the extra distance
- Sociable at heart: Enjoys developing a rapport with other people
- Optimistic in outlook: Always sees the glass as half full
Are you sure the local concierge isn't robot?
It’s definitely not a robot! Guaranteed 100% fleshy mouth-breathing humans.
How is the English of my local concierge?
Given that your local concierge is actually a real local, English will generally be their second language (except in English speaking countries, of course). However, every single concierge has had their English tested to ensure that they can communicate clearly and fluidly with you.
Can I call my local concierge, or meet them in person?
Your local concierge is only available for live chat via your smartphone.
I still think the concierge is a robot.
Then I challenge you to conduct a Turing test!
What cities are covered by the local concierge?
- Burkina Faso: Ouagadougou
- Egypt: Cairo & New Cairo City
- Ethiopia: Addis Ababa
- Kenya: Nairobi
- Nigeria: Lagos
- South Africa: Cape Town & Johannesburg
- Uganda: Jinja
- Azerbaijan: Baku
- China: Shanghai
- India: Banga, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar, Bhuj, Chennai, Delhi, Hoskeri, Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Mumbai, New Delhi, Pune & Thiruvananthapuram
- Indonesia: Bandung, Denpasar & East Jakarta
- Iran: Badroud
- Iraq: Erbil
- Japan: Kagoshima-shi & Shinjuku-ku
- Jordan: Al-Mafraq
- Kazakhstan: Almaty, Astana & Zhetikara
- Lebanon: Bayrut
- Nepal: Kathmandu
- Philippines: Makati
- Qatar: Doha
- Singapore: Singapore
- South Korea: Seoul & Suwon
- Sri Lanka: Colombo
- Taiwan: Taipei
- Thailand: Bangkok, Tambon Chiang Mai & Tambon Si Sunthon
- Turkey: Antalya & Istanbul
- United Arab Emirates: Abu Dhabi & Al Jazirah Al Hamra
- Vietnam: Hanoi & Ho Chi Minh City
- Austria: Vienna
- Belarus: Bierazino, Brest, Hrodna, Lahojsk, Mahilioŭ, Minsk, Pastavy & Viciebsk
- Belgium: Brussel & Gent
- Croatia: Hvar & Svirče
- Czech Republic: Kolín & Prague
- Estonia: Kesklinna
- Finland: Helsingfors & Oulu
- France: Bordeaux, Fontainebleau, Lyon, Nice & Paris
- Georgia: Tbilisi
- Germany: Berlin, Hamburg, Munich & Villingen-Schwenningen
- Greece: Athens & Chania
- Hungary: Budapest
- Ireland: Dublin
- Italy: Abano Terme, Alberobello, Ancona, Aosta, Avellino, Bari, Bassano del Grappa, Bergamo, Bologna, Bolzano, Brindisi, Caserta, Catania, Cecina, Cremona, Fano, Firenze, Forlì, Genga, Genova, Jesi, Jesolo, Lecco, Lucca, Macerata, Marigliano, Milan, Modena, Monza, Motta Visconti, Naples, Nettuno, Padova, Palermo, Parma, Perugia, Pisa, Portogruaro, Pozzuoli, Rimini, Rome, Roncade, Salerno, San Nicola La Strada, San Pietro di Feletto, Senigallia, Sorrento, Spresiano, Termoli, Tivoli, Tolentino, Torino, Trento, Treviso, Venice, Verona & Vicenza
- Latvia: Riga
- Lithuania: Vilnius
- Moldova: Chișinău
- Montenegro: Budva
- Netherlands: Amsterdam
- Norway: Oslo
- Poland: Kraków, Poznań & Warszawa
- Portugal: Albufeira, Ericeira, Faro, Lisbon, Porto & Viana do Castelo
- Romania: Bucharest
- Russia: Irkutsk, Khanty-Mansiysk, Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Smolensk, Ufa, Vladivostok, Yekaterinburg & Yoshkar-Ola
- Serbia: Belgrade
- Slovakia: Bratislava
- Spain: Barcelona, Eivissa, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Madrid, Málaga, Palma, Peñíscola, Sant Joan de Labritja & Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Ukraine: Kharkiv, Kiev, L'viv & Odesa
- United Kingdom: London
- North America:
- Canada: Montréal, North Saanich & Vancouver
- Mexico: Cancún, Mexico City, Playa del Carmen & Santiago de Querétaro
- United States: Chicago, Cleveland, Costa Mesa, Dallas, Denver, East Lansing, Fort Wayne, Houston, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, Napa, New York, Newport, Reston, San Diego, San Francisco & Seattle
- Australia: Adelaide, Brisbane City, Bundall, Canberra, Chatswood, Crawley, East Victoria Park, Kardinya, Melbourne, Perth, Revesby, Sydney & Townsville City
- New Zealand: Wellington
- South America
- Brazil: Belém, Brasileira, Florianópolis, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo & Vitoria
- Chile: Santiago & Viña del Mar
- Colombia: Bogotá & Ibagué
- Paraguay: Asunción
- Peru: Lima District
- The travel concierge is available for the following cities in Caribbean Islands:
- Guadeloupe: Pointe-à-Pitre
- Guatemala: Guatemala & Guatemala City
- Turks and Caicos Islands: Providenciales
What if I’m traveling to multiple cities?
No problem, you will be assigned to multiple local concierges throughout your trip – one per city!
What if I’m in a city not covered?
If you are in a city which isn’t listed above, the unfortunately you will not be able to benefit from local concierge services (in that city).